Thu 1st October, 6:00 – 7:00pm
In this interactive online tour you’ll learn lots about the choices and practicalities of a modern, sustainable self-build home.
Mark will show his and Mandy’s inspiring home, which is his third self-build.
Their choices were constrained by their budget and a narrow site, making for a challenging design for the team, including Mole Architects. The result is a beautiful, individual, low-energy home. Some of its features are:
- structural insulated panels (SIPs) for an exact, well-insulated build
- triple glazing with low G glass to avoid summer overheating
- mechanical ventilation with heat recovery (MVHR) for filtered, warm fresh air
- 2 kW PV system with iBoost to switch any excess electricity to hot water heating
- Low Energy Building Standard – “Passivhaus-lite”
- louvered cedar wall cladding and beautiful carpentry
See more details and photos in this Case Study.
Housebuilder’s Bible (now in 13th edn!) is Mark Brinkley’s best-selling building guide.
It’s part of this autumn’s Open Eco Homes online tours of 8 inspiring Cambridge-area new-builds and retrofits, instead of our normal live tours. There are 3 interactive talks too, about improving your home’s comfort and energy-efficiency.
This tour is in partnership with RIBA East, the Royal Institute of British Architects, East.