Open 14th Oct
Type New Build
- Additional shared garden and mixed use building
- Greater sense of community and participation
- Range of high spec environmental features in each house
- South-, east- and west- facing glazing for winter solar thermal gain
- Manufactured, insulated panels provide high standards of insulation throughout
Under construction in 2017, K1 Cambridge is a cohousing project in Orchard Park with very high environmental standards. Residents have more say over the development, and in the running of their community once it is completed. As well as having their own home, members will have access to a large shared garden, house, office, workshop and gym.
The homes will be highly insulated, the walls being constructed as timber panels in a factory in Sweden. Wall, floor and roof U-values will be around 0.18. Factory manufacture enables high standards of air tightness to be achieved. Triple-glazed windows and doors will be built into the panels in the factory. The homes will have a low requirement for heating which will be provided by air source heat pumps and ventilated by mechanical ventilation with heat recovery (MVHR). No gas will be used on site; this is the choice of residents, who will be able to buy their energy from 100% renewable suppliers.
This tour starts in Orchard Park Community Centre with a talk, followed by a short walk to the site which is currently under construction. You may need warmer cloths and waterproofs/umbrella.