Open Sep 30th
Type New Build
- Rammed earth wall, providing thermal mass
- Super insulated, whole envelope U value <0.13
- Timber framed triple glazing – U value around 1
- Solar thermal panels feeding into thermal store
- Whole house intelligent ventilation
As self-builders, hosts Nick and Kate were very keen to use the opportunity to reduce their environmental impact through good design and materials. They have created a very comfortable place to live, the whole family loving the light, the space, the views and the rammed earth wall they built themselves. With space and time to get exactly the house they wanted, they have a lot of good tips to share about getting it right.
Following advice from the Centre for Alternative Technology and Open Eco Home sponsors AC architects they followed key environmental self-build design principles, worth bearing in mind with any build project:
• Orientate to benefit from solar gain
• Super insulate
• Build airtight then ventilate right
• Add thermal mass
• Consider cooling and solar shading.
Want to know more about Eco Self Build? Host Kate Hawksworth is speaking at our Eco Self-build – make it happen on Wednesday 26th September.
Book a tour
This house is fully booked.